Sunday, September 4, 2022

OH GOOD GRIEF!


Do you think your mother lives here?  Well, yes, I guess I do. I'm devoting this (hopefully
short) blog about all the things that drive me crazy.
 
Let's start with the kidults.  Who are both approaching 40 although I pretend they are approaching 30 due to ten years of addiction.  Makes it easier on me.  They rarely write things down.  Phone numbers (and they both have iPhones), passwords, account numbers (they don't use checks and every once in a while you need to provide your account number) and Kate usually puts thing on the family calendar.  Jesse?  Not so much.

Our calendar has a different color for each of us ... I'm grey, Kate is yellow, Jesse is red and the boys events are purple.  With just two cars, two boys at different schools, different sports with practices and games and hangouts with friends and overnight adventures.

Now I write "JB needs the van" on my appointments that are away from here.  Jesse still acts surprised when I come out with the keys.  We already have days where one of us will need to drive Kate to work because we need both cars.


They are both lax about responding to text messages or checking email.  Even school related stuff!  Fortunately, since we live together I have gotten myself on both schools' emailing lists as well as Deacon's teacher's.  And I finally got Kate's password so I can use ParentVue for more specific things, like progress reports.

No one else who lives here makes ice cubes.  Currently we have NONE because I went on a silent strike.

No one else replaces the toilet paper.  So I hide a roll in the back of the vanity or bring in my own.

Rarely do either of them make our cold brew coffee.  I make a half gallon and keep it in my fridge.

No one remembers to charge their devices and both kids have already gotten warnings for not having a fully charge (school supplies) laptops.

Each child should read a minimum of 20 minutes a day.  Parents are not enforcing that (okay, it's the first week of school but starting next week, I'm cracking down).  They do take turns reading to the boys before bedtime.

No one else cleans out the fridge and again, I'm on a silent strike.  They both know I enjoy most leftovers but if it's not labeled and dated, not me!  I have a dorm size fridge in my "apartment" so I keep things they would never eat in here.  (Currently hummus, coastal kale salad, cooked beets, feta cheese, hard boiled eggs and olives).

Still ... the pros outweigh the cons.  When they are away, I remove all the crap left on the kitchen bar.  As well as that pile on the dining room table.  Usually, if the items belong to one of them, I put it on their side of their bed.  

When that balance tips ....

P.S. I'll do the boys next Sunday!




6 comments:

  1. Living with other people away takes compromises. I'm glad I'm past that era of my life but I'm glad your pros outnumber your cons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life’s complications but at least some pluses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pros outweigh the cons for sure. The relationship I have with my grandsons is something beyond amazing. Not many families live together!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you're pros outnumber your cons by far but it sounds like maybe you need daily checklist for evening and morning and no one goes to bed or leaves until they're done? Or earn a kid style daily chore for either to help with development issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried making a list of daily things, weekly things, etc. Now when they need ice ... they are out of luck.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...