Thursday, December 23, 2021

TWAS THE DAY BEFORE THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS

We've gone through five different kinds of cookies already.  Not to mention fruit, candy and the cutest donuts ever ... Krispy Kreme miniatures.  I have no idea how my sister finds the most wonderful edibles.  We no longer exchanges gifts so she says it is a "family" gift.  She sent a box of Enstrom almond toffee and my oh my it is the best on earth.  Jesse loves toffee and put's Heath bits on his ice cream every night.  One bite of this Enstrom stuff has me hiding it in the back of the fridge.  Children NOT allowed.


(Yes, I ate that tiny glazed one in the third row)

We've received more Christmas cards this year than in the past.  I let the boys open them and if there is a photo, I tell them the story.  And it's always nice to hear from my dentist and insurance agent.  (Just got my teeth cleaned this morning!). My friend in Maui who I accompanied to Oahu for a lung biopsy (when I volunteered at Na Hoaloha serving the elderly) just sent the most beautiful Jacqui Lawson card.  My return email was instantaneous.  She responded that YES she is still living alone in her 3 story home that has 43 steps to master to go get her mail.  Unfortunately, the cancer metastasized to her brain but has been halted by radiation.  I think she is 88 ... still driving!

I picked up a Honey Baked ham and turkey which is my new tradition.  I always get the bone-in style so we can make soup.  Usually pea soup but I may try black bean soup this year.  Or potato.  It's the soup time of the year.

Kate found the PERFECT job (for her) ... at a local native plant nursery.  Outdoors rain or shine.  Playing in the dirt and starting new plants.  She has found camaraderie with other plant snobs who sneer at lawns and ivy and annuals.  Jesse is wanting to return to being a server at a high end restaurant, but after listening to NPR today and the fast spreading Omicron that blasts through vaccines and booster, as well as learning that there is a new flu strain arriving that is NOT covered by our latest flu shot, I just can't have him getting exposed on a daily basis.  He will continue to be the House Husband extraordinaire.




 


6 comments:

  1. So happy for Kate. She'll be right in her element and she'll bring her happiness home. Literally, you'll have plants EVERYWHERE.

    Have a good Christmas. Now I want to pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She IS in love. I'm hoping she can enjoy the plants at work and NOT bring any home. She already harvests seeds, puts them in labelled packets and shares them with other plant snobs. Stores them in our already crowded fridge!

      Stay safe over there!

      Delete
    2. Buy her some seed saver tins with glass tops. I love them and plant lovers love getting them as gifts.

      Delete
    3. What a great idea! For gifts, anyway. She gives most everything away for free!

      Delete
  2. Hope your Christmas Day was special since sounds like you've already eaten most of the goodies. Bet there were more! I used to like to use ham bone for bean soup with cornbread but haven't done so since I'm alone now. Glad you can still enjoy receiving more Christmas cards as mine dwindled so in number in the past ten years with so many moving on to a different dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to bake more cookies! I say go ahead and make the soup .... then freeze portions for later! You can buy just the bone!

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...