Sunday, July 26, 2020

BACK TO NORMAL

Whew.  I think we have reconnected everything, have daily virus scan and I even bought protection from evil on my iPhone.  Every little bit helps.

The family went rating on the Clackamas River last week and I drove 10 miles over to return a driver to where they put in.  They wanted me to drive their car (HUGE SUV) with slow leak in a tire and nonworking GPS.  Kate set up Waze on my phone but in the end, they moved all the rafting stuff into their car so I could be more comfortable driving my own (which I have only done once in the past four months).  

A serious wake up call!  I couldn't remember how to use some handy features, couldn't find where they put my sunglasses and forgot my water.  Waze worked but she wouldn't talk to me.  Nerve wracking drive for sure.  Now I am going to drive somewhere close every day AND pick them up at rafting once a week.  Because it is predicted to be HOT HOT HOT



The boys spent the next THREE nights with their cousins and gosh has it been lonely and quiet.  Everyone is gathering at Grandma Laura's tonight (Saturday) to have an outdoor picnic to celebrate two family birthdays.  

Our latest conundrum is school for 2020-2021.  Montessori has put together a hybrid situation, two days AT school in person, two days more structured online learning and one day independent online learning.  Our public school is offering the same OR all online.  They provide the devices preloaded with all the software necessary to attend classes.  School starts at 8:05 am and I'm not sure how long their day will go.

We may just do our own version on our un-early bird schedule and use Khan Academy online learning.  (Watch Sal Khan's Ted Talk entitled "Let's Use Video to Reinvent Education".  Khan Academy is a not-for-profit organization with a mission of providing free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Khan Academy started as a passion project in 2004 when Khan's cousin was struggling with math, so he tutored her remotely and posted his educational videos on YouTube.)

It's FREE (although I made a big donation) and each class has several lessons and you only get to the next class by passing all the previous requirements.  They/he has made it very fun and interesting (we have been using math to keep Braeden using his skills).

4 comments:

  1. It's a brand new frontier out there in education, isn't it.

    When I first started back driving after the quarantine lock down I had trouble concentrating on what I was doing. You are not alone in that basket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're reconnected. How frustrating.
    I don't drive nearly as much anymore. You have a good point there. We need to keep doing all the things we do. The phrase "use it or lose it" has many applications. Ha!
    I wonder if my son is familiar with Sal Khan. I should send him the link. It will be interesting to see how much this time of pandemic changes the way we look at education when this is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember driving once some of the restrictions were lifted and it was like everyone forgot how to drive. That sure can happen. Now I drive somewhere often to keep my vehicle functioning and me alert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that they didn't close down rafting. They closed down tubing on the river here and water parks in our recent closures last month. Rafting sounds like fun to beat the heat! When we lived in Medford from 1988 to 1994 it got to be 116 one time as the high.

    I got the same way about driving when I worked from home and would just drive locally to the store a few miles away. I felt very uncomfortable driving long distances and I still refuse to drive on the freeway here. Now that I'm back to working outside the home I'm getting more comfortable driving again.

    I'm so glad my kids are raised. I wouldn't know what to do about school for the new school year. Actually I would send them back if classes were going on in person. Neither one would have been good virtual learners I think. My step granddaughter's high school will start virtually and then there will be a schedule of A/B where A goes 2 days a week in person one week and B 3 days a week in person for that week and then switch it the next week. That would be so confusing!

    My niece and her husband are music teachers. She had on her Facebook page a concert that had been done in China (of all places LOL) post Covid 19 of school children and their band. All the kids were socially distanced and wore those face shields with holes cut out for playing their instruments like the violin, trumpet, etc. Those who didn't need to use their mouths for playing had masks on. They did a great job with the song I heard them play.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...