Sunday, June 7, 2020

PANDEMIC PROTESTS

Portland Oregon and many, many suburbs across the USA are still protesting the police murdering George Floyd.  For more than a week.  I think it may continue.  Mostly these events have been peaceful in the suburbs.  And it feels like change is in the air.

In the past there have been several protests/demonstrations that DID change things., including the words we use to refer to the incidents and people involved—like “patriots” versus “thugs,” or “rebellions” versus “riots.” 


Boston Tea Party  1773
Most everyone remembers this ... approximately 116 men—some dressed as Native Americans—boarded three British ships and dumped around 45 tons of tea into Boston Harbor to protest the British tax on tea and monopoly of the East India Company. This act of rebellion is considered to be the first to set in motion America’s idea of protest for independence. 



Haymarket Affair
I did not remember this.  In 1886 several days of strikes began in Chicago and became an international movement for labor rights … shorter working days and higher pay.  It began peacefully until an unknown person threw a dynamite bomb at police, killing seven.  Over 100 arrests and 8 protesters were convicted of conspiracy. 



1913 Suffrage Parade
Women had been fighting hard for suffrage for almost 60 years.  Thousands of women marching on Pennsylvania Ave for the right to vote … turned violent when male spectators began attacking the women.  But it took 7 more years for women to have the right to vote (and black women even longer.).  Yes, I did learn about this in school.



Detroit Uprising 1967
What started as a police raid on an unlicensed bar turned into five days of violence and the largest incident of civil disobedience of 20th century America. With a total of 43 deaths, hundreds of injuries, nearly 1,700 fires and more than 7,000 arrests, the Detroit Uprising is seen as a turning point in the American civil rights movement. In 1974 a black mayor was elected.

The problem with protesting is our interpretation.  I tended to focus on the vandalism and looting and intimidating of peaceful protesters.  Now I am not.  I still abhor it but that is not the message.  The message is that the police must stop the brutality.  No more undue or excessive force against ANY subject, no matter the race.

Their fellow officers must step up to report offenses and not defend the corrupt members of the police force. I realize they sometimes need to make split second decisions but nine minutes of kneeling on someone’s neck is intentional murder.  And I don’t care it the victim is a repeat offender or even a murderer.

It must stop now.

10 comments:

  1. You said it. Some of those protests I had forgotten about but it is the American way to change unjust laws. I am pleased that this one has shown so much momentum, even overseas. It is time to quit saying we will do better and just do better---now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it! Just DO better. In my area, they are still protesting every day and they are more and more peaceful. I think it might work!

      Delete
  2. George's death was the straw that broke the camel's back (no pun intended). It brought social injustices into focus in a way that was hard to ignore. I do believe the protests will bring about systemic changes. I just fear another covid-19 wave will come along with those changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid numbers here are up but who knows if it's just because there is more testing going on or what.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the concept of protests and I do agree that protests have brought changes. I agree that violence in such protests should not be tolerated. I believe the police need to change their policies and it seems like they are looking into doing so. I don't like what I have seen of whites apologizing for being white. And I know how police profile because they profiled my very fair skinned Caucasian son in his teenage and early adult ages because of the car he drove. So I get it all and changes need to be done but defunding police does not seem like an option to me.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read a good article on what "defunding police" seems to mean. Mainly just moving police funds into different buckets ... more anti racist education, more social services, more interaction with police and their neighborhoods (BBQs, picnics, parties for kids). Disbanding means firing everyone and starting over. I think defunding should be tried first.

      Delete
  4. I agree with everything Betty said.
    My son was "watched" by the local sheriff. One night his grandmother had borrowed his car. As she pulled out of town, she was stopped by the cops. They were shocked when she rolled down the window and they saw it wasn't my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you take him to talk to the sheriff? Why were they "watching" him? I'm now of the mind that talking to the right people is a great way to clear up misunderstandings.

      Delete
  5. I'd forgotten about the Haymarket Affair. I hate the violence and I think there should be consequences, especially for the ones who are out-of-state agitators. Violence distracts from the real reasons for the protest, but I do think something good will come from this. It feels like real change to me. I hope so. It's long past time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like real change to me as well. We need police strength for murders or arsons but maybe need citizen coordinators, mental health assistance, mentors for at risk kids, supervised activities for teens, etc. Have the right kind of person be involved ... not always the police.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...