Sunday, October 10, 2021

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Death and taxes.


 Last year I had to hire a CPA (recommended by my financial advisor).  The guy died at his desk working on my return so when I got the outrageous invoice, I didn't feel like complaining.  To them.  But I did vent to others.

For 2020, two friends both recommended a local small firm they had both been using for over five years.  The price was certainly reasonable and although he didn't suggest that I claim my family as dependents, he agreed that I could claim Kate and her boys, but not Jesse since they don't have that piece of paper.

The economic stimulus checks were part of the issue, so Jesse did have to file a return to get his missing $600 payment.  Nothing on it but that.


Last week in the mail, the Dept of Treasury sent all three of us a notice ... saying there was a miscalculation on our returns.  My refund would be higher!  They would get nothing.  Two days later I got two checks ... one for the higher refund (plus interest) and one for $2,800 for economic impact payment.

When I contacted him via email (with copies attached) he said he would get back to me by the end of the day.  But Jesse should go online to a new web site just for pandemic payments.  (No offer to refund the tax preparation fee that was worthless).

https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/eip/?utm_campaign=ocomm-eip-22&utm_content=t2-learn-more&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Stay tuned as I may have to vent again.  I'm afraid to deposit both checks since I don't know if I really get to keep it.  But I think I will and worry about it later.

What would you do?

8 comments:

  1. I hate to say it but this would be a put the phone on speaker and hold for the irs for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thought ... my last resort, I think. I don't think I could answer questions about my return since I didn't prepare it. I will go online about the economic stimulus payments!

      Delete
  2. No one does anything right the first time. Think how much time we'd all save if they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did we ever work full time, have husbands and still get everything done?

      Delete
  3. That’s all quite crazy-making. Do you still have your mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do NOT have my right mind. I think the CPA should figure it all out, explain it to me and be totally understanding when I choose the other partner!

      Delete
  4. My advice - do NOT deposit the checks yet - Something similar happened to me several years ago and what a mess it ended up being - keep checks until they advise you what to do. They started charging me interest on checks they sent me. They screwed up and wanted to penalize me - eventually it got cleared up (took time) but they were not very nice (again it was their doing - not mine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOPS. Just deposited both checks. Now to wait the wait ....

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...