Sunday, April 12, 2020

VIENNA


Typically it is a 4 hour drive from Straubing to one of the company’s largest distributors in Vienna.  Unfortunately, the President (Geo W Bush) and his wife were landing and all entries to the City were blocked.  For hours.  A great thing about Europe, all cars have satellite radios so we were alerted to the delays!  We met Harald for a 10pm outdoor dinner.

Then we had to wind down every alley to get to our motel … as most main streets were still blocked for the Presidential visit.  We got in at midnight!

The men had business meetings during the day so I had some leisure time to enjoy the buffet breakfast.  Every breakfast in every country has a coffee urn labeled “Weak American Coffee”!  The rest of the world drinks espresso or cappuccino or some such.

Our hotel was right downtown in the midst of all the shopping.  The stores were CLOSED to the public while Mrs. Bush shopped.  When she and her bodyguards left to visit another store, we were welcomed in.

Vienna is where I learned that you are not allowed to iron in your room!  We were going to the Opera that night and I had to pay $12 to have my skirt ironed.  Some hotels have “laundry” rooms with one washer, one dryer and one ironing board.  But then you have to have local coins ….


The Opera was stunning and even hotter since we were high up in a balcony.  I don’t even remember what we saw.  The acoustics in the building were phenomenal considering it was built in 1869.  Then we made our way down to the Hotel Sacher to enjoy champagne and a Sachertorte.  
The Stephansplatz is a square at the geographical centre of Vienna. It is named after its most prominent building, the Stephansdom, 
Vienna's cathedral and one of the tallest churches in the world.  Such historic buildings being kept alive.  

Harald's wife entertained me for one afternoon and included a visit to their home.  Most homes are much more modest than US homes.  Seeing how other countries LIVE was of great interest to me.  And sure makes me appreciate wherever I live.



In Hong Kong, the wealthiest person I had ever met (at that time) lived in 800 sq ft for four people.


Oh!  Never mind.  Hong Kong is another adventure!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're enjoy your walk down Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh at weak American coffee. It would probably do us all good to see how others live in different countries so we could appreciate all we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every country! It was funny. They drink espresso all day long! Too jittery for me.

      It was amazing to see how people in other countries live. Gosh I learned a lot those few years!

      Delete
  3. 800 square feet for 4 people! I can't imagine! Actually I can imagine if none were hoarders :)

    Cool you are sharing these experiences with us :) I'll never travel to these areas like I might have mentioned before so its fun to see others perspective of them and their adventures!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to read about your travels. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...