Thursday, April 9, 2020

GERMANY with MR. RALPH

OK, I finally calmed down and picked several photos from our two nights in Germany.

We flew from England to Munich, then an hour car trip to Straubing where our guide and Regional Manager (Romano) and his family lived.  Another of my concerns about this trip is the speed on their highways.  Poor Romano!  I asked if he could go 80 mph or less.  Most European highways are smooth as silk and people were passing us like we were a pylon.    By the second day, I caved and said go safely.  Much of the time it was 100 mph.

Did I mention the heat wave going on over there?  Like 100+ degrees most of our trip.  It's not common to be so warm for so long, so most hotels turn off the a/c in the middle of the night (or raise it to 80 degrees).  After the first night of restless too hot in a small bed (we had a King at home), we took turns getting up and turning the a/c back on.  Every few hours.


Having coffee in the lobby the first morning

Straubing is a beautiful old town near the Danube and was founded in 14 BC.  Yes!  BC.  After the fall of the Roman Empire, Straubing was officially a German city in 1218.  This corn fed Ohio girl was just in AWE of the preserved buildings.  Especially churches and Gothic towers and courtyards.




















Romano's wife was an esthetician and ran a little spa right downtown.



I should have kept a diary.  Some of these stops are not easy to remember.  At least iPhoto tells me the city!




Lunch (outside in the heat and you have to ASK for water and BEG for ice).  I had a white asparagus salad.

That evening we ate at their local pub and slept very well, despite the lack of a/c!







6 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty! Was it humid or a dry heat? That would do me in if it was humid.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUMID and hot. We were sweating by the time we got dressed! It was the only vacation where I lost weight!

      Delete
  2. It looks like a lovely time! And those stained glass windows are absolutely gorgeous!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many (jumbled) memories of my tag along trips! Australia, South American, Japan, China and more.

      Delete
  3. Wow, driving 100 MPH, heat at 100 degrees--that Tan and Relax and the local pub looked like the places to be to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I longed for air conditioning. Luckily dinners were LATE late late in the evening (some restaurants don't even open til 9pm) so thing were a little cooler.

      Trips of a lifetime, though.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...