Tuesday, March 12, 2019

HOW MANY HOOPS ARE THERE?

Volunteering is such an admirable hobby.  For some people, it involves more hours than a full time job.  My first job is here with the kids.  If they get accepted into Montessori, I will be a bus driver twice a day (kinda hoping Jesse will get his license) and it's about a 20 minute drive.  In between 8:30 and 3:30, I can spare some time.

When Kate was in school, I was a volunteer in her class.  At least twice a week.  In junior high and high school, she didn't even want to acknowledge me, so I worked behind the scenes.  I still had my weekly visits with our "adopted" grandparents.  When Ralph retired, I retired from volunteering until we got into our new groove.
I was a volunteer drive in Maui after he died.  Now I'd like to drive once or twice a week for our Adult Community Center and/or our new grassroots WLLO Village (West Linn Lake Oswego).  Things are sure different now.

First I took a four hour class for the LOACC (Lake Oswego Adult Community Center)(January I think).  They then asked for a Criminal background test complete with fingerprints.  Got that done in early February.  I've left several messages for the Volunteer Coordinator who has never returned my calls or sent an email (this is now March).

WLLO requires so many more hoops!  And of course, they will not use the previous background check.  They use a company elected by the National Villages movement, Verified Volunteers, and when I got the A-OK back from them, I also had it sent to LOACC hoping to jog someone into action to give me a job!  (They posted on FB they are in dire need of drivers!).

Yesterday I completed the day long AARP Smart Driver Course.  Neither organization asks for that in particular but I sent it to them anyway.  I had to scan in my drivers license, front and back, my insurance card front and back as well as a two page application to be a volunteer driver ... and sent them to the WLLO coordinator.
Now, to continue this process, WLLO has to get a DMV check.  Their application asked for traffic citations, month and year (I just said it's been 15 years ... don't remember the dates)  



Next, there are two videos I need to watch and take an online quiz after ... a Blood Borne Pathogen online video (only about 25 minutes). The Defensive Driving class is long but you can stop and restart anytime along the way (she said cheerfully).

And then an actual driving test!  Stay tuned.



P.S.  The AARP class is really good!  Only $15 if you are a member.  We had a great leader, lots of short videos and an awesome booklet to refresh our memories.  You may even get an insurance discount.  I highly recommend.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, no wonder they have a shortage of drivers. But I see the need for it. When I car pool with the women in my circles I'm often scared of the person's driving abilities...or lack there of. I've been trying to get our senior hall to get a tie-in with Ubber, have someone come out and show us the ropes on how it works and gets us set up to use the service. Transportation is a major issue here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transportation IS the most important issue especially for seniors. I can certainly understand taking a class, background check and a ride along. EVERY year. But JEEPERS this is a LOT of time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they haven't called you. You are right about transportation being so important for seniors. If you don't have transportation, it really curbs your freedom. Hope they call you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure about the Senior Center. I’ve left several messages AND emailed director. Maybe they don’t need drivers!???

      But the Village requirements may just put me off altogether. Maybe I’ll go read to school kids or rock babies.

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...