Sunday, December 15, 2019

THE WEEK FROM #@*%

It's always extra busy in December.  After 66 holiday seasons, I realize that.  And I usually catch my Winter cold some time during December.  This year it was before Thanksgiving.  And the coughing has gone on for six weeks.  I was only feeling "sick" for a few days but anytime I would talk, I would have a coughing fit.

On Monday last week, I reserved our large Clubhouse room for a WLLO gingerbread house decorating party.  When I went over to set up I realized the people who had an event the day before did NOT do a good job of cleaning up!  We had to wipe off all six tables and 24 chairs, then vacuum and THEN set up for our event.  Which was fun and creative and I bet we do it again next year!  








My co-host elf had to drive two members home, so I got to clean up all over again.  The vacuum grabbed a piece of our new carpet and it ravelled.  I called Jesse (SIL) and he said there were spots like that all over the whole room ... where ever it had been seamed.  I called the HOA Chair and she came right over.  Just didn't want them to think it was my rowdy decorating bunch!

Wednesday was scheduled to be WLLO Holiday Open House at our large Clubhouse room again.  As I was at Costco the day prior (first time driving more than 3 minutes from home)(TONS of traffic in the rain), I got a few things then had the most delicious sample of Korean beef.  So tender and so flavorful ... and my new crown came off.

My wonderful dentist could not fit me in until 10am the next morning .... and our party was to start at 11:30!  I got my friendly elf the key before I left for tonsil numbing glue in.  While I was brushing and flossing, our dog hopped up onto my (still warm) bed and left an 80 gallon puddle.  ON MY BED!  And my carpet.  I ripped off the bedding and tossed into the washer before heading out to the dentist.

He has RARELY had an accident inside during his 13 years ... let alone ON furniture!  Thank goodness I had a waterproof mattress pad on from when the boys would spend the night.

Noreen got a few others to come in early and by the time I got there, a little after 11am, we already had visitors who were eating!

Fortunately, just as we were thinking we wouldn't have enough appetizers to last til 2:30, more members arrived bearing foods of all kinds.



I was also blessed with many helpers to do clean up!  

During our party, the former-chair-who-still-thinks-she-is-in-charge, came in and asked if we could share the kitchen.  She spur of the moment decided to host lunch for ten workers who are installing ductless hvac.  It wasn't convenient but somehow we all worked around each other.

The final piece of the week (just the first three days, thankfully), was word that one of the four office volunteers doesn't want to take her one day a week volunteer spot.  She didn't enjoy it and was too timid to play around with the software until she got comfortable (which is how I taught myself)  One of the other four of us is the Chair and she is stepping back from WLLO in April.  She has been the driving force to get this Village up and running, volunteering 60 hours a week! Plus babysitting her 4 year old grandaughter three days a week and her older brother after school on those three days.  Another grandchild is due today.

If I start to volunteer for more duties,  PLEASE STOP ME!





7 comments:

  1. I couldn't do all the volunteering you do. I need alone time every week. It's hard finding a good balance because every group that has volunteers works them until they are burned out.

    The dog was trying to tell you something. Either he wasn't walked that morning or he has a medical issue he wants you to know about. Either way, he's so smart he probably knew about the rubber sheet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I need alone time as well! I'm better doing behind the scenes work ... like the office. And driving as I can "see" my volunteering makes a difference.

      Our old boy just needs to go out more often. Gone are the days of just 3x a day. We started doing every two hours, then every three hours and it seems like every four hours works for him. If it happens again, I'm thinking UTI and a vet visit. Poor dude.

      Delete
    2. Cats are especially smart about letting us know when they have UTI.

      Delete
    3. P.S. I'm better in a volunteer job where I'm told what to do rather than being in charge of anything. But it's hard when the person in charge doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

      Delete
    4. I need to not be "responsible" for so many things. I'd rather be a worker bee also. Not a Queen Bee. When Chris steps down, I'm very concerned WLLO will struggle for sure. She puts in 40+ hours a week. And she's "head" of so many teams. She has put in three years of really hard work, lots of public speaking grooming volunteers, setting up Google Works and training people. She has a Council meeting every month, a Circle of Reps meeting every month (two members from each Village get together), and three Affinity Group meetings. No one will want to take on that!

      Delete
  2. Just keep practicing the word "no" so you are very familiar with saying it when they ask you to take on more volunteering duties. You certainly had a heck of a week! One can only hope the upcoming one is a better week!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I can't. No, thank you. No, that doesn't interest me. No, I'm doing too much already. Thank you for thinking I'd be good at that, but no.

      And so on .... NO

      Delete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...