Monday, October 7, 2013

DISNEY MOVIES

It’s official.  I’m now an old person.  I enjoy Disney movies!  It wasn't that long ago that I sorta chuckled at my parents watching Disney movies.  They started out when their grandchildren were visiting.  When I came for my visits, when TV offered nothing interesting (and they refused cable so that was a lot of the time), Mom would suggest we rent a Disney movie.  Every time I think of how intent they were when they were watching, I smile.

Of course, they were right.  Disney movies usually don't have profanity, nudity, extreme car wrecks, infidelity, graphic dismemberment and other yucky new millennium stuff.  Which doesn't add much to any story line, in my mind.

Every evening with Braeden, we watch a movie before bedtime.  He is enthralled with each one and usually prefers to watch the same one over and over (Toy Story 3).

While they are supposedly made for children, using wonderful colors, great voices and a good moral to the story, in between all this goodness are one liners just for adults.  They are priceless.  Now I sometimes chortle!  And both of us laugh out loud (although I hope he doesn't understand all of them yet)



Fortunately (for me) I talked him into The Little Mermaid this weekend.  Since he is loving swimming and he likes the ocean (the sand more than the water) AND he loves the Nemo movie, I was hoping it would be a hit.  It is!  The only complaint I have is that I have to adjust the volume down when a “scary” part comes on.  There is always a villain, even in Disney movies.  Often the mother dies (Bambi).  Throw in a wicked stepmother (Cinderella).  All of life gets covered somewhere.  


The music is pretty good also!

P.S.  I'm trying Bugs Life tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a kids movie since I was a kid. But my niece, the teacher, is always talking about how good this or that movie is for even adults to watch. I'm glad you're enjoying that part of grandmother-hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think maybe I'm becoming more simple minded?! But I've only been watching them when little people are here to watch. Maybe that's a good sign!

    P.S. King Triton, in The Little Mermaid, looks a lot like Mr. Ralph!

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...