Sunday, October 16, 2022

QR CODES ARE TAKING OVER!

 Bar Codes vs QR codes  


Believe it or not, bar codes were invented in the early 1950’s and patented in the US and are kinda based on the Morse code.  However, it took over twenty years before this invention became commercially successful.  


Now we see them everywhere! Groceries are probably the first and most successful use of barcodes. (Which are now referred to as automatic identification and data capture - AIDC).  In fact, the first barcode was used on a pack of Wrigley’s chewing gum in 1974.



With the widespread use of smart phones, AIDC has now turned into QR codes
 ... short for Quick Response).  Invented in 1994 by engineer Masahiro Hara, the original purpose of the QR code was to track vehicles and parts moving through the assembly line.  When QR codes first morphed into more than that, we had to download an app to read them.  I first used one in the 80’s at a state park to guide you through and see special sites.  It was incredible in my mind.  Like magic!


In 2017, Apple integrated a QR code reader in their camera app.  There are two kinds of WR codes used in 2022 … static and dynamic.  A static QR code contains information that cannot be modified once it's live. This means any typo or misstep will require you to create a brand new one. The good news is that static codes don't expire — so once the content is set, your work is done.



Static QR codes are ideal for storing fixed or sensitive info — think Wi-Fi passwords, employee ID numbers, or access codes. But they're not so helpful if you need to update your data regularly.


Dynamic QR codes allow you to change your info as many times as you want. This is because the information isn't ingrained into the code itself. Instead, it redirects users to a specific URL that can be changed at any time. For example, a restaurant can redirect users to a menu on their website.  Our local Olive Garden uses a dynamic QR which instantly opens their Current menu on your phone or pad.  We could also pay our bill using a QR code.

The Food Pantry will be using bar codes or QR codes soon to identify clients.  Because in the next month we will have to limit shopping to every other week.  I stopped in to Hunger Fighters on Friday to pick up a project and was shocked to see how bare the shelves are.  Both in the shopping area and in the storage area.  We are again offering Thanksgiving Boxes and all clients were mailed or emailed information on contents and how to order.  Unfortunately for us, some clients photocopied the flyer for their friends and neighbors and now we have double the number of recipients over last year.

It reminds me how privileged my life is.








3 comments:

  1. I really hate those qr codes. I need to get a reader on my new photo. That's for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know that I hate them but they sure are u·biq·ui·tous!!

      Delete
  2. I don't understand any of these Codes well enough really to utilize them on my Phone. Loading new things on it bothers me, seems a lot of place have their own Apps and it just gets overwhelming to me, I like to keep things simplified and all the Tech gadgets aren't something I feel as compelled to implement them all.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...