Sunday, June 20, 2021

LIKE AN OLD CAR

Golden years?  Really?

I used to laugh at Mr. Ralph when he came up with that phrase ... hub caps falling off, tires needing replaced, headlights that aren't bright enough.  For now, just minor inconveniences.

Last weekend I broke off the side of a molar.  No pain so I thought I'd put it off until my sister and family left as I would probably need a crown.  On Tuesday as I was flossing my teeth, a crown on the other side of my mouth popped off.  I carefully wrapped it in a tissue and put it in my purse as it could probably just be glued back in.

Lost it but luckily my dentist saved both the molds so I have a temporary crown on each side for a month.

Then I had dinner for one of the first ladies I met when I moved to Portland.  We worked together for a real estate developer in downtown.  I joined her Bunco team off and on but people kept moving further and further away.  Working and having a little one I really preferred time off to be spent with them.

Sherri is two years older than me but her car is almost totally deteriorated.  She had a knee replaced and a hip replaced.  She's had two major strokes.  She took a bad fall while relearning to walk and damaged her shoulder.  After the second stroke they discovered an operable brain tumor.

By golly, she is NOT giving up!  She came into the restaurant using a walker and was able to eat and drink on her own.  It was a surprise party and she was truly touched.  Her nephew is her live-in care giver and it was nice to meet him.  What a saint he is.

In between all of this, I successfully fought off a UTI.  My mom used to get them all the time and I'm hoping someone out there has an effective way to PREVENT them.  My Dr wrote a refillable prescription for an antibiotic (as a last resort).  Google friends suggest D Mannose on a daily basis.  I discovered an AZO product that I took for a week .... the combination did the trick.



D-mannose is a kind of sugar that is related to glucose. D-mannose is used for preventing urinary tract infections (UTIs).  D-mannose seemed to have had a significant positive effect on UTIs' resolution and QoL improvement (p = 0.0001). As prophylactic agent administered for 6 months, it showed promising results (4.5% vs. 33.3% recurrences in treated and untreated patients respectively).


D-mannose seemed to have had a significant positive effect on UTIs' resolution and QoL improvement (p = 0.0001). As prophylactic agent administered for 6 months, it showed promising results (4.5% vs. 33.3% recurrences in treated and untreated patients respectively).


(I need to check with my dr about taking this since I do have Type II diabetes)




My gyno from a few years ago (she left medicine!) suggested AZO.  There are so many kinds of their products now.


And then there is my lichen scleroses.  It wasn't bothering me so I stopped the twice a week cortisone cream.  After a couple of weeks of doing the right thing, I'm discovering using Desitine or Eucerine cream daily (for baby diaper rash areas) is working well and just once a week the harsh stuff.


What next, my friends???
















5 comments:

  1. Some people like your friend and my husband go through so much, don't they, in the physical illness department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me not to WHINE when it happens to me ....

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh yes... I am having the same dental issues as you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old teeth and old crowns must just be extra brittle!!!

      Delete
  3. I had back to back Dental Emergencies during the Big Lockdown and my Dentist was Closed for Month, I took a Senior Fall too during early Pandemic and the ER's were only taking COVID Emergencies... so I Feel for ya having so much go wrong all at once during a particularly trying time! At least you got the Dental Work squared away.

    ReplyDelete

CAUTION - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This will be my last blog. My heart is not in it, I struggle to find topics and readership is half of what it used to be.  If I have a negat...